This inscription in Polish, Hebrew and Czech language written in original type form the plans of the building dated the twen- ties of last century – reminds the history of synagog as well as Cieszyn.
Restoration of the inscription.
Written word maintains the memory.
It is a document of the past.
Boundary place literally and figuratively.
The city branded by the history of nationalistic conflicts between Polish, the Jews and Czech.
The building which belonged to minority in the past and at the present time – different, but within the walls trying to keep alive…
The guards of sabbath – significant, non-existent inscription of metaphorical meaning.
The building of the former synagouge from 1928 was designed by well known local architect Eduard David. A ritual baths was there since 1935. As the synagog was situated among many others houses of Breitegasse street – it protected the build- ing by nazis during World Wor II. Thought the interior of the synagog was nearly completely destroyed, after 1945 the build- ing was still served as a house of prayer for Jewish community in Czech.
In 1967 the building was sold to Polish Culture-Education Association which restored it and wall up the entrance for women. In the seventies of XX century on the facade the old pre-war inscription “Schrome Schabos” was still visible
Strażnicy Szabatu, Schomre Schabos, Stražci Šábesu, site specific art , old synagog building, Cieszyn, Czech Republic, 04/05. 2014